This homemade vegan nacho cheese recipe is gooey, spreadable and can go on so much more than just nachos. It’s so versatile I whip up a batch every week to put on sandwiches, roll into wraps and add to dips.
It’s the simplest recipe to follow and only takes 9 ingredients to make – 7 of which you probably already have on hand.
Put-On-Anything Vegan Cheese Sauce
Making the perfect vegan cheese sauce only takes 4 steps! So there’s no excuses for not trying this recipe for yourself.
Other vegan cheese sauce recipes use nuts or sweet potato for the base. In this recipe we’ll be using butternut squash, as it gives a rich deep flavor that can carry, but does not overwhelm the other ingredients.
Butternut squash is also a great option because it contains less fat than nuts and less carbs than sweet potatoes. Which only really means one thing: you’re allowed to eat more! Because believe me, this vegan nacho cheese sauce is highly addictive – you’ll want it on everything you eat.
To make this creamy vegan cheese sauce simply peel, cube and sauté the butternut squash until soft. Then add to a blender with all the other ingredients, mixing until smooth. It’s that effortless.
If you’re having a major nacho craving, try this Loaded Vegan Nachos recipe to really hit the spot! You can also use the sauce to smother burritos, add to bean dips or top enchiladas. However you like it, make sure you share it in the comments section below.
Creamy and flavorful, this homemade vegan nacho cheese sauce is perfect for nachos, tacos, burritos, enchiladas, dips and sandwiches.
- 1 Medium Sized Butternut Squash
- 6 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 6 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Sriracha Sauce (less or more depending on spice level)
- 1/2 Cup Coconut Milk
- Prepare a medium sized pan with extra virgin olive oil and place on medium heat.
- Have a blender on hand to mix the ingredients together.
- Peel and roughly cube the butternut squash.
- Put a medium sized pan on the stove. Set to medium-high heat and add extra virgin olive oil.
- When the pan is hot, add the butternut squash and sauté until soft. As the squash is sizzling, season with salt and pepper.
- Once the butternut squash is soft, around 8 minutes, (you'll see char marks on the outside of the cubes), put in a blender.
- Add all the other ingredients into the blender.
- Blend until a smooth nacho cheese sauce develops.
- Enjoy on everything!
To make an easy queso cheese sauce, mix equal parts salsa for a spicy twist!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size1/2 Cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 156Total Fat 12.5gSodium 328mgCarbohydrates 9gProtein 3.4g
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @plantbaseddogguy on Instagram and hashtag #plantbaseddogguy to share your awesome food.