If you’re looking for an easy and delicious meal, look no further than my vegan meatball sub. Made from several components that can all be made ahead, it’s the perfect weeknight dish.
It all starts with delicious vegan meatballs that are crispy and bursting with flavor. Then, simply stuff them into a hot dog bun, top with authentic Marinara Sauce and slather with gooey mozzarella sauce for one of the most satisfying meals ever.
How To Make Vegan Meatballs For A Meatball Sub
Perfectly crisp and meaty vegan meatballs are possible with a few handy substitutions. Egg is a crucial component to helping the ingredients bind together. So far, the best vegan egg alternative I’ve found is Bob Red Mill’s Egg Replacer. Mix 2 tablespoons of egg replacer with 4 tablespoons of water and whisk. Once combined, let it sit for a few minutes until it creates a gooey paste perfect for binding loose ingredients.
For the meatiest meatballs I use Lightlife Plant-Based Ground. It’s made primarily from peas and packs 20g of protein per serving. To make the meatball mix, combine the egg replacer, plant based milk, breadcrumbs, fresh herbs and spices in a bowl. Shape into 11/2 inch balls and set aside.
How To Make A Vegan Meatball Sub
To make a vegan meatball sub absolutely mind-blowing, it needs a bit of depth from Marinara Sauce and the creaminess of a mozzarella cheese sauce. Make the marinara sauce by cooking down San Marzano tomatoes, garlic cloves, one onion, fresh basil and vegetable stock until it reduces into a hearty tomato base.
For the rich and creamy Mozzarella Sauce, blend cashew nuts, lemon juice, water, nutritional yeast and onion powder together until a smooth sauce is made.
How To Cook Vegan Meatballs
To cook the meatballs, place a large pan on medium heat and add a few splashes of olive oil. When the pan is searing hot, drop the meatballs in and cook until browned, around 7 – 10 minutes. When adding the meatballs to the pan, work in small batches so that the pan is not overcrowded.
As they cook, turn the meatballs to brown all sides and lower the heat when the oil begins to smoke. You might find you have to adjust the cooking temperature a few times to stop the pan from smoking too much. Once the meatballs are done, move them onto a plate lined with paper towels. This will absorb any excess oil.
Now comes the easy part! To put it all together, toast vegan hot dog buns in the oven or in a toaster. Once they are ready, stuff 3 meatballs (half them if you like) into one hot dog bun and spoon a generous amount of marinara sauce on top. Then slather some of the mozzarella sauce over everything. Garnish with fresh basil and take a bite!
The great thing is that these meatballs don’t have to be confined to hot dog buns. Toss them with Marinara Sauce and serve with spaghetti, turn them into the centerpiece for sliders or crumble over flatbread pizzas. The options are endless and decidedly yummy.
If you make this recipe, don’t forget to leave a review below and tag @PlantBasedDogGuy on Instagram.
For more meaty vegan dishes, try these recipes:
Vegan meatball sub made with homemade meatballs, stuffed into hot dog buns, topped with marinara sauce and gooey mozzarella sauce.
- 2 Tablespoons Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer + 4 Tablespoons Water
- 1/2 Cup Breadcrumbs (I Recommend Flora Bread Crumbs Panko Seasoned)
- 12 oz (1 Pack) Lightlife Plant-Based Ground
- 1 3/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Chopped Parsley
- 1 Teaspoon Chopped Basil
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Plant Based Milk (I Recommend Almond Milk)
- 56 oz. / 2 Cans San Marzano Tomatoes
- 1 Yellow Onion
- 6 Cloves Garlic
- 15 Fresh Basil Leaves
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper (To Taste)
- 2 Teaspoons Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base or other flavored base (optional) + 16 oz. Hot Water
- 1 Cup Raw Cashews
- 2 Heaping Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 1/4 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup + 1/8 Cup Water
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 4 Vegan Hot Dog Buns (I Used Ball Park)
- 12 Vegan Meatballs
- Marinara Sauce
- Mozzarella Sauce
- Basil To Garnish
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN MEATBALLS
- Prepare the egg replacer by whisking 2 tablespoons with 4 tablespoons water. Let sit for a few minutes until it creates a gooey paste perfect for binding the dry ingredients together.
- Finely chop the parsley and basil.
- In a bowl combine Lightlife Plant-Based Ground, the egg replacer, breadcrumbs, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, plant based milk, chopped parsley and chopped basil. Mix with your hands until fully combined.
- Using the curve of your palm, form into round balls. This batch will make around 14 meatballs.
HOW TO MAKE MARINARA SAUCE
- Evenly chop the yellow onion, fresh garlic cloves and fresh basil leaves.
- Open the 2 cans of San Marzano tomatoes and set aside.
- Boil 16 oz of water. If you are using Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base, mix 2 teaspoons with the hot water and stir. If you are omitting the flavored stock then set aside 16 oz of hot water.
- Place a large pot on the stove at medium heat. Add enough extra virgin olive oil to cover the bottom of the pot.
- When heated, add the onions and cook until translucent
- Add the fresh garlic to the pot and mix with the onions, cooking for only 45 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add the San Marzano tomatoes to the pot and stir. At this time, add the fresh basil and season with salt and pepper and mix everything together. Allow to stew for 15 minutes. You'll notice the tomatoes will start to release a rich aroma as it begins to break down. To speed up the process, mash the tomatoes with a wooden spatula.
- After the tomatoes have stewed, add the 16 oz. of flavored stock or water to the pot. Lower the heat to a low setting. This will give the sauce time to simmer and develop serious flavor. Stir occasionally for the next 25 - 30 minutes so that the sauce does not burn or stick to the bottom of the pan.
- When the sauce is finished, remove off the heat and use an emulsion hand blender to create a smooth marinara sauce. If you prefer a chunky and rustic sauce then skip this step altogether.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN MOZZARELLA SAUCE
- In a blender, combine all the ingredients and blend on high until a smooth sauce is made. This should take around 2 minutes.
ASSEMBLING VEGAN MEATBALL SUBS
- Toast vegan hot dog buns in a toaster or an oven.
- Once they are ready, stuff 3 meatballs (half them if you like) into one hot dog bun and spoon a generous amount of marinara sauce on top.
- Slather some of the mozzarella over everything. Garnish with fresh basil and take a bite!
The great thing is that these meatballs don't have to be confined to hot dog buns. Toss them with Marinara Sauce and serve with spaghetti, turn them into the centerpiece for sliders or crumble over flatbread pizzas. The options are endless and decidedly yummy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size1 Sub
Amount Per Serving Calories 380Total Fat 15gSodium 740mgCarbohydrates 40gProtein 20g
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @plantbaseddogguy on Instagram and hashtag #plantbaseddogguy to share your awesome food.