A satisfying lunch or dinner has to meet a few criteria. It’s got to have a grain component, fresh veggies, and a good sauce. This kale and peanut stew checks all the boxes.
It’s savory with a bit of heat and a little sweet. Pineapple, peanut and kale come together for an explosion of flavor all served over a light and fluffy bed of couscous.
Savory Peanut & Kale Stew
Peanut, pineapple and kale might not sound like an obvious flavor combination, but that’s what cooking’s about – exploring new and exciting flavor profiles.
This dish was first served to me at a restaurant that adapted the recipe from the cooking cult favorite, Moosewood Restaurant Cooks At Home. The flavors impressed me the at first bite and continue to make an impact each time.
I’ve made this dish many times and this version includes my preferred way of preparation. It’s filling, creamy, nutty and just too good to not try!
If you have a nut allergy use an alternative nut butter instead of peanut butter – it will work just as well. And while we’re on the topic of switching things up, you can use swiss chard or spinach instead of kale and sriracha or another type of hot sauce in lieu of Tabasco.
Made with a simple combination of peanut butter, kale and pineapple, this nourishing, satisfying and tasty stew cooks quickly. Making it an easy meal option on a weeknight or lazy weekend. With so many reasons to try it, I hope you make it for your next dinner.
This peanut and kale stew recipe is a creamy, comforting and spicy. It comes together in no time and is perfect for busy weeknights.
- 1 Large Yellow Onion
- 5 Cloves Garlic
- 1 20 oz. Can Pineapple Rings + Canned Juices
- 2 Cups Finely Chopped Kale
- 1 Tablespoons Hot Sauce (Tabasco), (If using Frank's use 2 tablespoons)
- Smooth Salted Peanut Butter
- 1 Cup Dry Couscous
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
PEANUT & KALE STEW
- Dice the large onion.
- Peel and chop the fresh garlic gloves.
- Wash the kale and finely chop it up. Set aside.
- Open the can of pineapple rings.
- Set a large pan on medium heat with some oil.
- Add the chopped onion to the large pan and sauté until translucent.
- Add the fresh garlic to the pan and mix with the onions, cooking for only 45 seconds to 1 minute.
- Pour in the pineapple juice and the rings. Mash the pineapple rings into small pieces.
- When the pineapple juice is bubbling, add the kale to the pan and cook down until soft and tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the hot sauce and peanut butter and stir well.
- Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes and occasionally stir to prevent sticking.
- Bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Add the oil and salt to the water.
- Once the water is boiling, add the dry couscous and stir.
- Cover the pot with a lid, turn off the stove and remove from heat.
- Let stand for 5 minutes for the couscous to cook.
- When ready to serve, fluff with a fork.
- Place a pile of couscous into a bowl.
- Spoon a generous helping of the peanut and kale stew on top and garnish.
- This peanut and kale stew tastes great when garnished with green onion, cilantro and crushed peanuts.
- Store in the fridge and eat within 2-3 days for the best tasting experience.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size1/6 Preparation
Amount Per Serving Calories 284Total Fat 22gSodium 90mgCarbohydrates 40gSugar 20gProtein 8g
Did You Make This Recipe?
Tag @plantbaseddogguy on Instagram and hashtag #plantbaseddogguy to share your awesome food.